When it comes to marriage and family counseling, one would think that the therapist loves to do what they’re doing. Why else would they do it? It has to be a super fulfilling job in that you’re doing all this great work with couples and helping them make breakthroughs critical to the relationship’s survival.
However, just like any other health related position, working with troubled patients can take its toll. It’s so easy to take their problems home on top of the all the things that one has to cope with in their own life.
And it’s not just the health field – doing anything you love too intensely for a long time can lead to burnout.
This is certainly the truth for this session’s guest, Lisa Mustard.
And, in fact, it’s one of the reasons that she’s started her podcast, The Therapy Show.
In this chat, Veronica and I get the chance to learn how she’s been able to package up her own life experiences in two hugely different arenas into what she’s doing today. Not only that, but we also discuss the importance of self care regardless of our position.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- After getting started in the sports marketing arena, how did Lisa end up as a therapist? 12:27
- How has she been able to repackage her skill set as a therapist to being a coach? 17:45
- Are there any similarities with her therapy patients vs those that she coaches? 22:36
- What sparked Lisa’s interest in starting a podcast for therapists? 25:36
- When it comes to building a new business, does Lisa think we should build on the side of our day job or build a runway first? 33:55
- Why does it take burnout for us to realize how to be happy? 39:12
- How does she feel like her work is helping others not fall down the stress rabbit hole? 42:37
- What has Lisa excited for 2020? 48:58
- What are three of Lisa’s favorite influential podcasts? 51:05
- Which three books are her favorite to gift or tell others about? 51:38
- Which message out there is a disservice to youth? 53:21
- What is something that would be found in a Creative Handbook for Entrepreneurs? 54:22
- What’s Lisa’s secret to achieving personal freedom? 54:24
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Lisa Online: Website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube
- Cohost: Veronica Kirin
- Session Sponsor: Uncover Your Personal Mission
- Tour DuPont
- Goal Digger Podcast – Jenna Kutcher
- Practice of the Practice – Joe Sanok
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone – Lori Gottlieb
- Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well Lived Joyful Life – Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- Untangled – Lisa Damour
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Be More Productive with Facebook in Less Time
The Future of Social Media with AI
Coping with Deployments over the Holidays
Better Communication in Romantic Relationships
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!