Many people aren’t necessarily ready to take the entrepreneurial plunge. For them security of a regular payday is much more valuable than living terms their own way.
There’s nothing wrong with that – it’s just not for me nor most of the guests on this show. I personally know that I suck being told what to do and, especially, how to do it.
However, that doesn’t mean that they can’t do some of the things us lifestyle entrepreneurs do.
In fact, today’s guest has started a business to help those that want to work while traveling have an easier time doing just that.
John Asbury is the founder of a recently new online company called Travelgig which is all about helping expats and world travelers find work similar to how Airbnb finds them places to live.
When John isn’t hard at work, you can find him enjoying life and traveling too – just check his Instagram account!
Recently Veronica and I had the opportunity to catch up with him and find out more about this great resource of a site and John himself.
Specifically we talk about how it got started, what went into making the original version, his background as a freelancer, and how someone can flip the creative switch for themselves.
Thanks for listening, and enjoy the show!
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- What’s John’s working background and what’s Travelgig all about? 9:24
- How did John get into freelancing? 12:31
- Where did he begin his entrepreneurial career? 16:17
- What was the spark for him to start making his own lifestyle? 18:55
- What fears did he have associated with his early days of traveling? 21:06
- How does he feel that traveling has helped him vs living a more conventional life? 23:19
- What inspired John to start TravelGig? 25:38
- What has been the process in creating it? 30:30
- What does John’s team look like at this point? 33:36
- What kind of WordPress plugins is he taking advantage of for TravelGig to do what it does? 37:30
- What are three or four steps that someone can employ to start being a creator today? 40:24
- How do people break free of an addiction for another more purpose driven one? 43:26
- What’s the future look like for TravelGig? 46:46
- Three favorite books? 51:17
- Hardest Thing to Say No To? 53:51
- What’s a service that doesn’t exist that he’d gladly pay for? 56:07
- Secret to achieving personal freedom? 57:34
- … and MUCH more!
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- John Online: Website1, Facebook, Instagram
- JC on Uncomfortable Conversations with Gregory
- I want out Subreddit
- Summer Edwards AoL Interview
- Franz Cavatorta AoL Interview
- Restrict Content Pro
- WP Job Manager Theme
- $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau (Amazon Link)
- Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance (Amazon Link)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson (Amazon Link)
- Jack Douglas videos on fidget spinners and the second one
- This session’s cohost: Veronica Kirin
- Travel Savvy eCourse – Get Help Traveling Abroad with Ginger Kern
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
15 Things You Probably Didn’t Know about Elon Musk:
Elon Musk at ISS Conference 2017 (Short version):
How to Get a Working Holiday Visa:
10 Jobs that Pay You to Travel:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!