In general, politics is a topic that people are really engaged in or they want to keep away from it with a 10 foot pole. Personally for me, I’m a bit of a junkie. And in fact, the shows that I tend to listen to engage in political satire. They don’t take themselves too seriously.
I love that because it’s such a break from the norm. Because when you think of politics today, you often think of this side vs that side. One side is right while the other side is wrong. One side is Trump and on the other side you have the Pelosi lead Democrats.
This wasn’t always the case.
Today’s guest, Andrew Heaton, is someone I started listening to sometime last year in his last podcast called There’s Something Off with Andrew Heaton. That particular show concluded this past summer and since then he’s been busy building his own show entitled The Political Orphanage. (He also has a new show called Alienating the Audience , Sci-Fi based show, which we’ll talk a bit about in the interview.)
Listen in as Andy and I get a chance to find out from Andrew what his process has been as he’s been building his new platform. And what he can share with other creators in regards to getting on the national stage.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- How does Andrew connect at a different level with his audience than most political commentators? 10:38
- Are politicians in DC the same people behind the scenes versus what we see in the news and media? 14:11
- What’s Andrew’s advice for a student to set themself up to work in Washington DC? 17:08
- What are some action steps he recommends to creatives, such as podcasters, who are in the hunt to get on a larger stage? 23:11
- How does he go about getting guests on his podcasts? 35:49
- Is there a certain way Andrew recommends to grow a contact list? 41:01
- What business lessons has he learned through his experiences as a standup comic? 56:50
- How has “always saying yes” affected him as a podcaster? 59:37
- What’s Andrew looking forward to in the New Year? 1:02:12
- Which book, film, and song would Andrew add to the National Curriculum? 1:04:47
- What’s Andrew do when he becomes overwhelmed or unfocused? 1:07:32
- What’s a topic that would be found in a handbook for entrepreneurs if Andrew wrote it? 1:10:33
- Is there something he wished was still a thing? 1:12:12
- What’s the secret to achieving personal freedom? 1:12:45
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Andrew Online: Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
- Cohost: Andy Dix
- Session Sponsor: Uncover Your Personal Mission
- Andrew’s 2 Podcasts – Alienating the Audience, The Political Orphanage
- Upright Citizens Brigade
- Henry Hazlitt – Economics in One Lesson
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Uberdunger Cologne for Men
Game of Thrones: Libertarian Edition
Star Wars: Libertarian Edition
Baby Yoda for President
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!