There are multiple ways to make money online. Most people know of information entrepreneurs. These are your Thought Leaders, your Teachers, and your Mediapreneurs. Others might think of software makers – called engineers. Or even more, you might think of someone who has a store and sells other’s items – these are Retailers. These are all part of the 10 Archetypes.
One type that I didn’t know too much about was The Maker. How does someone that makes a living producing crafts get online besides selling their physical goods online?
That’s where today’s guest, David Picciuto, has been able to make the connection. He makes YouTube videos showing how to make stuff!
Rather fascinating guy that I’m glad I got to know more about him and his craft.
In this chat, we go into how he got into woodworking as an online business, explore his successful YouTube channel and podcast, and why he believes it’s necessary to diversify your brand online.
If you love working with your hands and have been wondering what might be a good idea for an online business, this talk is just for you. (If you’re like me and have other ideas, you’ll get plenty out of this talk too. David is actually a lot like many of us when he first began!!)
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- How David stumbled into woodworking as a business.
- Where his creative flair came from.
- One way to get through the imposter’s syndrome.
- When he realized he had to “grow up” and get something other than a job at Target.
- How he knew it was time to strike it out on his own from a great job as a developer/designer.
- How he makes an income doing YouTube videos.
- Why he changed the name of his business from Drunken Woodworker to MakeSomething.TV.
- What lead David to write his Bandsaw Box book.
- What David does with all the products he makes on his show.
- Why it’s important to diversify your brand online.
- How and why he has such nice looking videos.
- How the podcast ended up coming together.
- What he is or is not looking forward to in the future!
- …and MUCH more.
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Laila’s Interview on the AoL Podcast
- David’s Woodworking YouTube Channel
- Sharlotte’s Interview on the AoL Podcast
- David’s Podcast: “Making It”
- Mark Nathan’s Book Launch Page (Facebook Group)
- Charles and Ray Eames
- Jack White
- Kurt Vonnegut
- Marie Kondo
- David on the SPI Podcast
- Fizzle – Go get your free course on building a email list of 10k+ subscribers! Get a 2 week trial period here!
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Ask Me Whatever #3
How to Price Your Work:
Checking Out David’s Shop – MTV Cribs Style:
Making It Podcast: $2000 to Start Over
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!