As we learned in session 149 with the Shohawk Media founders, the film world can be amazing experience. But one thing is clear: it’s vital that as a filmmaker you take advantage of the right opportunities to get ahead and get things done. This includes properly funding your production, going to film festivals, and knowing the inner workings of film distribution.
For many new filmmakers, these things can seem overwhelming. Many questions come up. How will I fund this project? How will I find the right people to partner with to get it done? When it is done, how will I get it out to the masses?
Today’s guest is someone that has the chance to get to know the film industry inside and out. With 30+ years of experience, Ray Murphy has seen it all. From starting off in security to becoming a producer to now helping with distribution, he can help those projects that won’t get the time of day from the big studios.
In this conversation with Ray, we talk about that journey of his.
Not only is he a great resource for young and veterened filmmakers alike, but he does a great job of shining the light on parts of the industry outsiders, like myself, might not understand.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- Growing up in Brooklyn, NY, did Ray ever imagine seeing the level of success he’s seen in his career? 6:27
- What was his first experience like in the film industry? 10:25
- What are the definitions of the various titles of producer? 14:24
- Has Ray ever considered being a director himself? 17:40
- How can young film producers take their career to the next level? 25:06
- Where does Murphy Media Distribution come in to help film producers? 27:40
- What types of individuals is Ray looking to work with? 37:42
- What’s going on in 2019 for Murphy Media Distribution? 41:40
- Who are the three influencers who have helped Ray get to where he’s at today? 49:28
- Is there anything Ray considers a waste of money that others buy regularly? 51:40
- What advice does he hear adults giving kids that he calls BS on? 52:44
- Is there anything he’d like to do that no one knows about? 54:29
- Three truths that he’s learned over time that he’d want others to know? 55:30
- What’s it mean to live a life of abundance? 57:49
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Ray Online: Website, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Session Sponsor: Uncover Your Personal Mission
- AoL Session 143 with Marc Davenport
- Karate Kid
- Get Out
- AoL Session 149 with Michael Hall and Chris Sakr
- Movie Subreddit
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
A Day in the Life of a Production Assistant
What does a Producer Actually Do?
How to Shoot a No-Budget Film
How to Start and Grow Your Own Production Company
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!