Great things don’t come from comfort zones. You’ve probably heard this so many times that it’s cliche. But is it actually true?
I think so.
For me, the best things in my life have happened because I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone. Whether this was starting in band when I was in junior high, going to college, or stepping out to ask Maria on a date, good things happen when you take chances. Sure, sometimes things go south and don’t work out the way you would have liked, but you never know until you get started.
Case in point, today’s guest, Jordan Harbinger, started his podcast way before they were considered “popular”. Sure you could download them on iTunes, but when he heard that people were going to be able to listen to them easier with the release of the iPhone, he knew he had to jump on the wave.
His first show, Art of Charm, was where I got to know him. And as his content matured, I felt myself maturing with it.
Today he finds himself on his own platform where he and his team work (including his wife Jen and his producer Jason) to put out The Jordan Harbinger Show 3 times a week. (As they say in Letterkenny – Must be nice!)
In this conversation, Harrison and I get the chance to find out more about the various transitions in his career and why it’s necessary at times to move on to something new.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- What does Jordan remember of his time growing up in the Midwest? 10:22
- Why did he decide to go to law school? 16:10
- What lead him to start interviewing bigger names in his podcast and how did he land those interviews? 22:08
- What advice can Jordan give someone who’s starting their own show today? 30:26
- Has he tried using comedy to get better at interviewing? 37:11
- When it comes to learning new skills, how can someone validate the time it takes to learn new things? Even when they know it’s taking time away from their business? 38:49
- What’s the top of the mountain look like for Jordan? 44:10
- Are there any new experiences he finds himself doing these days now that he has less stress in his life? 46:11
- Since Jordan gives away so much free advice, what does he say to people who say who think he’s missing out on monetization of his content? 47:52
- What are Jordan’s top 3 influential podcasts? 50:47
- Is there anyone that Jordan would be starstruck by? 52:14
- What’s an issue that more people should be talking about but they’re not? 57:09
- What’s a tip for traveling? 59:52
- What’s the secret to achieving personal freedom? 1:00:26
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Jordan Online: Website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
- Cohost: Harrison Painter
- Session Sponsor: Fizzle – Get your first two weeks FREE!
- Big Questions with Cal Fussman – Jordan’s Interview
- Abandoned on Hulu
- Robert Green interview with Jordan
- Jordan on Unmistakable Creative with Srini Rao
- Jordan on Solopreneur Hour with Michael O’Neal
- Ustream (now IBM Cloud Video)
- Pat McAfee Show
- UCB – Upright Citizens Brigade
- Jim Kwik
- 6 Minute Networking
- James Altucher
- Tom Bilyeu
- Sam Harris
- Pat Flynn
- Nolan Bushnell
- Jordan interviews Gary V on AoC
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Jordan on Isaac Lidsky’s Podcast
Jordan on Tom Bilyeu’s Impact Theory
Cesar Millan on Reprogramming Humans to Train Dogs
Cal Newport on Digital Minimalism
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!