Your body image can be a heck of a limiting belief. If you’re a creative who wants to be on stage, you might believe if you’re out of shape that you should be in shape before getting up there. Or, if you’re slim, you might think you need to get some muscles and size to you so you appear more confident.
When it comes to sports, there can be a bit of obsession about the athletic body too.
Maybe even more so.
A lot of athletes believe that if they’re going to stay at peak performance, that they need to control not only practice what they’re doing with their bodies, but what goes into them.
That’s fine. However, just like so many things, it can become a problem if taken too far.
In this interview, Veronica and I talk with former All-American athlete turned author Rachael Steil about her journey.
We find out what caused her to reach out for help and why she’s taking what she’s learned out to others.
If you find yourself obsessing about food and nutrition to an unhealthy extent, then this talk is for you.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- When it came to Rachael’s eating disorder, when did she realize it was time to get help for herself? 9:16
- What initially made her start her blog about her athletic body image journey? 14:33
- What kind of writing process did Rachael have when writing her book? 18:08
- Does Rachael have any advice for people who want to become known for their art or writing? 23:00
- Are there any pointers she has in regards to someone finding their identity? 30:02
- Is she looking forward to in the not too distant future? 31:55
- What’s one song, one book, and one film that she’d add to the national curriculum? 34:22
- What message out there is a disservice to our youth? 38:27
- Has there been a new habit or behavior that she’s been practicing that has helped improve her life? 40:52
- If she woke up tomorrow as her 10 year old self and all her memories were still intact, what would she do? 42:40
- How can someone be a difference maker in their community? 44:02
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Rachael Online: Website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
- Cohost: Veronica Kirin
- Session Sponsor: Fizzle
- Glenn Livingston on AoL Podcast Session 110
- Veronica’s TEDx Talk
- Women’s Economic Forum in India
- Running In Silence (book)
- Cal Fussman interviews Simon Sinek
- The Entrepreneurial Author
- Cam Adair AoL Interview(s)
- The Glass Castle
- Warriors – Imagine Dragons
- Secondhand Lions
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Rachael on Binge Eating and Hunger
Eating a Diet of Only Fruits and Vegetables
Handling a Eating Disorder When You Can’t Exercise
Rachael presents her Athletic Body Image Journey at the Failure Lab Event in West Michigan
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!