There’s a reason that many businesses fail in the first several years of business.
Of course, finances might play a part in that. But I think that even having a revenue problem is the sign of a deeper issue.
The issue is simply that business ownership doesn’t necessarily make one a great leader.
And without the ability to paint a vision and help employees see what’s going on, of course a company is going to fold.
Today’s guest, Mike Thorp, helps restaurants with this problem. He says that what he does for his clients is a combination of Hell’s Kitchen and The Profit. He loves what he’s doing, as you’ll find out.
But doing his own thing – it came at a cost. As creatives, we find out that to create our consumption must go down. And sometimes, we have to cut it out completely.
That’s exactly what Mike had to do with Gary V.
So in today’s chat, we’ll hear all about what Mike brings to the table with his business, but we’ll also learn what motivated Mike to pull the plug on Gary.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- How’d Mike get started in the restaurant industry? 9:43
- How does Mike view leadership and culture in the restaurant industry? 15:16
- What’s an important role he sees his company doing for local students? 22:02
- Does he only work with local businesses around Grand Rapids? 26:53
- What was his transition like going from corporate work to consulting? 30:43
- What does Mike wake up for in the morning? 34:18
- What lead Mike to write his viral post on Medium? 42:28
- Why do so many people have trouble leaving the consumer mindset to becoming a creative? 50:37
- What are some of the things Mike’s looking forward to? 52:39
- What are his three top favorite books? 54:50
- What’s a fact from today that would blow the mind from someone ten years ago.? 56:41
- Smallest decision he’s made that’s made the largest impact? 57:08
- What’s a life skill that he’s amazed people lack? 58:44
- How can someone be a difference maker in their community? 1:01:44
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Mike Online: Website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope
- Co-Host: Veronica Kirin
- Looking for a great community to start your Indie Business? Try Fizzle for 5 Weeks free!
- Bow Ties and Stilettos
- Mike’s Medium Post on Turning Off Gary Vaynerchuk
- Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen
- The Profit
- Chef (2014)
- Setting the Table – Danny Meyer
- The Oz Principle – Craig Hickman, Tom Smith, Roger Connors
- No Ego – Cy Wakeman
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Last Video You Have to Watch:
Cy Wakeman on The #AskGaryVee Show:
Danny Meyer – The Convergence of Casual and Fine:
Michael Shafer reviews the Oz Principle:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!