For many of us creators, we do things because we have a passion for it.
The question often is, how do we monetize something we enjoy doing without taking the fun out of it? Or, if we’re doing it because we see it as a mission – how do we keep from tainting that mission?
Like today’s guest, I believe, if done right, you can take something you love to do and make a living doing it.
That’s why I believe in Fizzle so much. That’s exactly what they teach people to do.
In this session, Laila and I sit down with an entrepreneur who has taken his passion of geeking out as Jack Sparrow to another level.
He gets paid to actually impersonate Jack as Long Jon Sparrow.
In today’s chat with Jon Boersma, we find out what inspired him to impersonate Captain Jack Sparrow, how much of his work was learned from formal education vs being self taught, and we dive a bit into how knowing about the 4 basic personalities have helped him in his career and how others can apply the same info to their lives.
As always, thanks for listening, and enjoy the show!
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- What inspired Jon to do a Captain Jack Sparrow impersonation in the first place? 8:40
- Where did he get the help to come up with his costume? 11:43
- When was Jon first bitten by the entrepreneur bug? 14:45
- Where did his company, Horizons, come from? 16:05
- How much of his work is formal education vs self taught skills? 17:43
- How did he get started with Super Gainz Fitness? 23:23
- When did his business really take off? 26:22
- What’s the deal with his project Business to Arts, Arts to Business? 31:08
- Does Jon deal with any copyright issues with impersonation? 34:28
- What’s some more info on the personalities and how can they help in someone’s career? 36:23
- What are some of the things that Jon’s looking forward to in 2017? 43:11
- Three books that he tells others about. 46:47
- What social norm has taken a 180 degree turn in the past 10 years? 48:50
- What’s the smallest decision Jon’s made that has had the largest impact on his life? 57:26
- If he woke up tomorrow as his 10 year old self with all of his memories intact, what would he do? 59:42
- What’s the secret to achieving personal freedom? 1:01:14
- … and MUCH more!
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Think and Grow Rich (Amazon Link)
- Community & Business Partnerships (Amazon Link)
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Long Jon Sparrow giving a business presentation:
Prince EA: Everybody Dies, But Not Everybody Lives:
Shawn Achor: The Happy Secret to Better Work
Alyson Tabbitha’s Jack Sparrow Transformation/Tutorial:
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!