For many, internet business is something that is pretty simple to understand. Create a digital product or service, get a couple of clients, and then scale. If done right, you can build yourself a great lifestyle.
The problem, however, is that the majority of the population doesn’t know that this opportunity is available. In fact, your own family or friends might still wonder about “that thing that you’re doing”.
Today’s subject and interview might just help people you know get a grasp on that thing.
In the documentary Generation Freedom, creators Michael Hall and Chris Sakr give us an overview of what it means to be an online entrepreneur.
Does it look entirely the same for everyone? Of course not. But there are certain ideas and concepts that we all have to know to comprehend the true powers of internet business.
In this chat, Harrison and I have the opportunity to chat with Michael and Chris and find out more about why they made the documentary, how they made it, and why they started filmmaking in the first place.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- How did Michael and Chris get into filmmaking so young? 8:54
- What kept them from giving up on their aspirations? 12:35
- Is there anything they would say to their past filmmaking peers who have put their dreams on the backburner? 17:06
- What’s their view on the current state of Hollywood? 19:38
- What do they think about leveraging Netflix and YouTube to get films out? 21:50
- How did Shohawk Media get started? What kind of work can we expect from them? 26:59
- How were Michael and Chris able to distribute the Generation Freedom documentary? 29:29
- What kind of advice would they offer someone who’s struggling to make money from their art? 33:31
- What was the process like for putting together the documentary? 39:12
- Where does Michael and Chris see Shohawk in the future? 46:57
- What song, book, and film should be added to the national curriculum? 50:08
- Who’s their favorite filmmaker? 54:45
- Is there an issue that more people should be talking about? 55:52
- Something that has cost under $100 which has changed their life? 57:36
- Are there any pieces of equipment that up and coming filmmakers should look into? 58:33
- What’s the secret to achieving personal freedom? 1:01:04
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Michael and Chris Online: Generation Freedom Website, Shohawk, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
- Cohost: Harrison Painter
- Session Sponsor: Fizzle (Get 2 weeks free!)
- Ricky Gervais’ Interview on 60 Minutes
- 4 Hour Workweek
- Crush It!
- Will It Fly?
- AoL Session 66 with Jesse Winton
- Social Media Marketing World Conference
- Happiness is a Warm Gun
- Richest Man in Babylon
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad
- Raging Bull
- The Fog of War
- Plastic Bag – A Short Film
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Generation Freedom Trailer
Who is Shohawk?
WhiskeyFest Northwest Promotional Video
Episode 1 of the Make This Movie Podcast
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!