For many creators, money isn’t the driving force for them in their craft.
They do it simply out of the joy that it brings them.
It’s been said that being successful is about being great at doing something, not necessarily pursuing to be great in itself.
Being great is a very vague goal.
In this chat with Claude Errera, we find that he built Halo.Bungie.Org (HBO) because he wanted there to be a place to discuss Halo (and to practice code for his day job as a website developer).
Not because he wanted to make a profit off of all the fans of Halo.
What did that plan and goal get him?
Well, at it’s peak, we find that HBO had over half a million visitors a day.
In today’s chat, JC speaks with Claude about how HBO got started, what he does as his day job, and some of the things he’s learned as father of HBO which will help others build their own communities.
Maybe you can apply some of his knowledge to your new business or passion project!
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- What Claude is known as on HBO and why he chose that alias. 9:56
- Why did he want to start HBO in the first place? 12:57
- How did HBO become structured as it was and is? 15:57
- What does Claude do as an actual online entrepreneur? 18:58
- How did HBO get some successful in the first place? 24:03
- Was there ever a time where he thought he’d pass it on or have it pay for itself? 26:17
- What has been his relation with Rooster Teeth over the years since RvB first started? 30:23
- Are there any other successes that he’s been able to watch grow in success? 34:51
- What are some steps that Claude would take to duplicate the success he had with HBO? 38:19
- What tactics does he employ to prevent himself from becoming a complete fan of something? 41:30
- What’s he looking forward to (or not) in 2017? 44:24
- Claude’s top 3 favorite books and/or movies he tells others about. 37:42
- Smallest decision he’s made that has had the largest impact on his life? 47:30
Three truths he’s found out over time that he’d want others to know. 48:27
- Who does he think of when thinks of the word success and why? 50:01
- What’s it mean to have a life of abundance? 50:42
- … and MUCH more!
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Claude Online: Halo.Bungie.Org, Smallbits.com, Facebook
- Games discussed in this podcast: Blam/Halo, Myth, Marathon, Oni
- ICQ celebrates 20 years
- Wayback Machine
- Cam Adair Interview 1, Interview 2
- Game Quitters
- Rooster Teeth
- Craig Mullins
- Alastair Reynolds
- Joseph Lallo
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
Louis Wu receives the First Claude Errera Award:
Claude is interviewed first time on video while talking to dboTV’s Duncan about PAX 2013:
Claude’s house party scene via the Making of Halo 2 DVD:
For Fans of Bungie: Claude is interviewed on Guardian Radio about Destiny and Bungie:
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!