As we have found out, passion filled work comes in many forms. Just last week, we saw how David Picciuto helps others learn about woodworking online. He gets to utilize his past interests in art and design to aid in getting his new found passion of woodworking out into the world.
For me, I’ve recently come to realize that I love teaching, connecting people and ideas, tech, and entrepreneurship. These are topics that I’m constantly learning more about when I can. They are what I naturally gravitate towards.
Likewise, this session’s guest, AJ Clingerman, always knew that she wanted to have her own studio. While originally it was a dance studio, she was open to the idea of starting the Indiana Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy with her husband when she realized how deep his love of the martial art was.
In my opinion, they have a heck of a story and team going on. Able to capitalize on what they both do well. She does business, he focuses on training and training others.
In this session, we’ll get to know half of this partnership. Particularly we discuss with AJ what James told her about BJJ when they first started dating, where the idea of the academy came from, growing pains that she and James have held to deal with while growing the business, what experience she’s obtained from working with people like Scott Manning and Dan Kennedy, and where the idea for her two books came from.
If you’re interested in starting a athletic training academy, or simply want to expand online what you’re already doing, then I think you’ll get a ton out of this talk.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- How AJ got into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the first place.
- How long AJ has envisioned herself running a business.
- Why she chose not to pursue a college degree.
- Where the idea for INDY EGO (Extreme Grappling Open) came from.
- Where the idea for the Indiana Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy came from.
- What kind of growing pains they had to go through when starting a business knowing little about actually running a business.
- Where the idea for Indy Business Success came from and how this initiative is helping business owners around Indianapolis.
- How she won Dan Kennedy’s Marketer of the Year award.
- One thing you should definitely consider when starting a business based YouTube Channel.
- What gave AJ the idea to write her books.
- What she thinks about women in men’s fields – especially in martial arts.
- …and MUCH more.
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Indiana Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy
- AJ on Facebook and LinkedIn
- AJ’s Twitter (Click to Tweet: Thank her for being on the show!)
- Laila’s AoL Podcast Interview
- Extreme Grappling Open
- Scott Manning
- Dan Kennedy
- James Clingerman YouTube Channel
- Fat Chicks and Skinny Bitches Die First (AJ’s Zombie Apocalypse Book) (Amazon Link)
- These Three Miracles (Amazon Link)
- Chicago International Tournament
- World’s Las Vegas in August (Refer to Calendar)
- Pan Jiu Jitsu New York in October (Refer to Calendar)
- Indy Business Success Online
- Outrageous Advertising by Bill Glazer (Amazon Link)
- Audible.com – Stop growing that pile of books to read! Start listening to them with Audible. Get Your Free Audiobook Here.
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
AJ featured on Dan Kennedy’s YouTube Channel:
Marketing Methods Guerrilla Marketing Techniques with AJ Clingerman
7 Essential Kickboxing Techniques
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!