People start businesses for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes that reason is that they see a need in the world that they can respond to. Others, like me, start a business because we see it in the future as a means to create a lifestyle that we want.
The same can be said about this session’s guest, Dustin W. Stout.
Dustin, like many other entrepreneurs, stumbled into business. And over time, he became really good at being a consultant and helping other people with his skills. However, this was active time that he was putting in and it was taking away from time that he could be spending with his young family.
In this session, we find out more about where he came from, how he became well known in social media, and also why he basically changed his business to focus on building SaaS products.
If you’re currently a freelancer or doing work that requires you to put in a ton of active work from project to project, perhaps Dustin’s story will give you some insight in how you can build a business that gives you more freedom.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- Why Dustin believes that performers do so well in the digital marketing space. 4:59
- How he got started as a youth pastor after being a performing arts major. 6:11
- How he stumbled into his first business. 9:45
- How Dustin first met Michael Hyatt and was compelled to build his platform. 13:27
- What his first blog was about. 18:15
- What made his blog take off. 22:05
- How Dustin created his first community online. 23:51
- How he got his first paying client. 26:09
- What the process is like to get recognized by Social Media Examiner as someone that knows that they’re talking about. 30:37
- Where Dustin got the idea to start in the plugin / SaaS world. 32:37
- What Social Warfare is all about. 35:37
- Freedoms that Dustin has through his business versus the life he’d have if he went the actor route. 35:41
- Would he ever consider going back to the acting world? 40:47
- Three teachers that has catapulted him to where he is today. 44:01
- Three truths that he’d share with others. 46:29
- If he was to put in ad into the world, what would it be? 48:22
- What he would say to his 20 year old self. 52:09
- When he thinks of success, who is the person he thinks of and why? 53:23
- What are some steps to “be like Dustin”? 55:06
- …and MUCH more!
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Dustin Online: Blog (dustn.tv), Warfare Plugins, Twitter, Google Plus, Facebook
- John Saddington
- Michael Hyatt
- Catalyst Conference
- AoL Interview with Steph Crowder
- Fizzle Podcast – How Long Should Your Business Take to Earn Revenue? (FS164)
- Fizzle Podcast – 7 Pricing Strategies to Use on Your Product, Service, or Workshop (FS124)
- Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk
- NSFW Gary Interview with Jordan Harbinger Interview
SHOW NOTE EXTRAS:
More about Social Warfare:
Dustin discussing Google Plus with Lauren Francesca on why you might want to check it out:
Dustin with Thomas E. Hanna on how to use images with your content:
An example of why Dustin chose to build a SaaS business like Social Warfare:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The AoL Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions feel free to email them over via the email mentioned in the show or by our contact form.
A huge thank-you to you guys for joining us!